Re: [Last-Call] Last call comments on draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended-08

Hi John,

thank you for providing some more detail about your considerations.

> On 2023-06-14, at 17:52, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> --On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 11:15 +0200 Carsten Bormann
> <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Second installment...
>>
>>> (1) ISO 8601 is a very widely adopted and used International
>>> Standard.  In addition to the sorts of uses that can
>>> reasonably be expected to show up in contexts related to
>>> Internet protocols (and the Java time format work), it is
>>> heavily used in the notations of a number of scientific
>>> fields and incorporated into regulations in some countries.
>>> While I have no problem at all with the IETF extending 8601
>>> in a way that is compatible with that standard and how it
>>> might evolve, there is little or no evidence in the document
>>> that serious consideration was given to that issue.  In
>>> particular, the document's references to ISO 8601 are to the
>>> long-obsolete and withdrawn 1988 version of that document and
>>> not to the current one(s) (the URL given in the reference for
>>> [ISO8601:1988] leads to a page that says " Status: Withdrawn"
>>> and does not even point to a current document).  For reasons
>>> that closely parallel some of the recent RSWG discussions
>>> about obsolete references and links, this document should
>>> either reference the current version of ISO 8601 and explain
>>> why the extension syntax chosen is unlikely to cause
>>> conflicts in the future or should carefully and respectfully
>>> explain why not.  If necessary, consider how the IETF would
>>> react if some other SDO (possibly even an ISO subgroup)
>>> referenced RFC 1163 and suggested it represented the IETF's
>>> latest thinking on BGP and its use.
>>
>> I do not agree.  While ISO 8601 has been revised considerably,
>> it has meandered away from the original work that made it the
>> natural basis of RFC 3339.  We are referencing that old
>> edition on purpose (as is reflected in the reference anchor).
>
> Three observations: First, RFC 3339 was intended to be a profile
> of ISO 8601.

Yes, and that intention is a bit broken by the fact that -00:00 is defined by RFC 3339 but not allowed by ISO 8601:2000 and newer.

> This specification takes it out of that category,
> even wrt ISO 8601:1988.

The update in Section 2 actually puts RFC 3339 back into that category.
The new functionality in Section 3 and following is not updating RFC 3339 and has no relationship to ISO 8601.

> Even if there were no "newer version"
> issues, that should require some more careful documentation and
> explanation, not just "we are still referencing the old
> version".

I generally try to avoid trying to get consensus on explanations of decisions where the explanation is more controversial than the decision.
So unless you have a very, *very* strong reason to include that explanation, I’d like to pass.

> Second, and in line with my BGP comment, if you want to
> reference the old version (and expect the community to endorse
> that), I believe you need to be explicit as to why, not just
> reference the old version via a reference anchor.  I think "why"
> needs to be a bit more specific than "meandered away" too.

See above.
The main reason is that the RFC 3339 profile of ISO 8601 does not need anything from the newer editions.

> Again consider the BGP analogy.  If that hypothetical other SDO
> said "we think the IETF got it wrong with BGP4 and are basing
> our work on the 1990 version instead", we wouldn't like it, but
> we should not consider ourselves above such criticism
> (especially if the reasons are spelled out).  On the other hand,
> simply basing work on RFC 1163 without comments would just look
> like ignorance or stupidity.

Well, BGP2 is obviously different from BGP4, so I don’t understand the analogy.

> Finally, as I think also came up in the August discussion you
> mention below, we have long-standing policies that a WG can
> consider, and choose between, different approaches to a problem
> based on whether one is proprietary (e.g., requires licensing
> and probably payment) and other is free even if the latter may
> be technologically inferior.

Oh.  These rules are specifically about patent claims.
The problems with paywalls are copyright problems.
(Yes, I know that these legal fictions are often lumped together by legal practitioners as “IPR”, but in the IETF “IPR” surprisingly means patent claims only in almost all cases.)

> However, I'd not aware that we
> have ever made that choice between versions of the same standard
> based on whether the older one is more accessible because copies
> are available on the web that have not been taken down.

The choice was about the reference, not about the content.
I would argue that, with RFC 3339, we spun out of the mold of ISO 8601, so what happened there afterwards is really irrelevant to RFC 3339.

> IMO,
> making that argument would be a significant policy change.
> YMMD, but, either way, it reinforces my view that an explicit
> and careful explanation should be in the document and should
> have IETF consensus.

See above.

>> However, you point us to one flaw with doing so: The first
>> edition of ISO 8601 that unambiguously outlawed -00:00 was the
>> 2000 edition.  So we have to be more careful in Section 2.
>>
>> Now
>> https://github.com/ietf-wg-sedate/draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-e
>> xtended/issues/48
>>
>> (Note that referencing a newer version would also erect a
>> paywall that would hamper review; please remind yourself of
>> the discussion we had around Archived-At:
>> <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/sedate/bvn8eA-DFWB3U1oF
>> hkVI-QEih0Q> ).
>
> Per that discussion (and as now mentioned at that Github link),
> if a link to the FIPS publication were added to the one to the
> ISO page, with a comment like "still available at", it would
> considerably mitigate my concern.

OK, I added this to the github issue.

> However, see above.  If you don't want to get involved with that
> policy discussion about paywalls (and risk a community bikeshed
> tour on the principles), probably you don't want to include it
> in the explanation.

Exactly.

>>>  "For the intents and purposes
>>> of the present specification," (rather awkward English)
>>
>> I hope the RFC editor will help...

… with the awkward English, I meant.

> consider splitting Section 2 into two or three subsections:
>
>  Section 2.1: The actual change, i.e., the former paragraph 4
> with, I hope, a bit of clarification (which might come out of
> paragraph 1).  In the interest of clarity, I'd prefer that you
> actually say "3399 says '<quoted text'> and this changes that to
> '<quoted new text>'" but that is slightly more an editorial
> matter than the principle I'm trying to push.
>
>  Section 2.2: History and context: versions of paragraphs 2, 3,
> and possibly 5.
>
>  Section 2.3: Transition and interoperability issues: A
> variation on paragraph 6, not as "note also" but as a statement
> that incorporates some of what you say above.
>
> Or maybe 2.2 and 2.3 could be folded together because the main
> goal is to make the actual change clear.  However, the more I
> think about it, the more I think they should be separate and
> that the process of organizing things into those three
> subsections would be likely to result in additional
> clarification.

This is a great idea, except that I’d do the background (your 2.2) before the update (your 2.1).
Now https://github.com/ietf-wg-sedate/draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended/issues/49

Thank you!

Grüße, Carsten