Fwd: [T12ALL] In Memoriam – Al Morton

Hi,

I'm extremely saddened to learn of Al Morton's passing a few days ago. As many of you know, in addition to participating in the ITU-T, Al was a longtime IETF participant and chair, and brought the IETF and ITU-T into alignment time and time again. And he was the nicest imaginable human being. I will miss him.

Lars

From: t22sg12all-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <t22sg12all-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Adolph, Martin
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2023 4:00 PM
To: t22sg12all@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; t22sg12q17@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [T12ALL] In Memoriam – Al Morton

image003.jpg

It is with great sadness that ITU mourns the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Alfred Morton, on 9 June 2023.

Al first joined ITU-T Study Group 12 (then titled “End-to-end transmission performance of networks and terminals”) as a delegate of AT&T in April 1997.

As Rapporteur for Question 17/12 on “Performance of packet-based networks and other networking technologies”, a position he has carried out since January 2005, Al chaired his last meeting on 24 May 2023.

Al’s leadership and contributions to standards in ITU-T, IETF and other standards bodies supported benchmarking methodologies and performance metrics used daily in maintaining and improving Internet access for users worldwide.

Al loved making and enjoying music with friends and family on the New Jersey Shore, in Chicago, and on his travels.

Whether as Acting SG12 Chairman, SG12 Vice-Chairman, Working Party Chairman, Rapporteur, Editor or Delegate – Al Morton’s friendship, leadership, expertise, and dedication to international standards will be sorely missed.

---

We are collecting condolence messages from fellow delegates which will be delivered to Al’s family. Should you wish to contribute, please email your message totsbsg12@xxxxxxx by 20 June 2023.