Re: [Last-Call] Last call comments on draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended-08

Hi.

I do not have nearly the level of misgivings about this document
that I did about the versions of many months ago.  In
particular, explicit removal of attempts to cover future dates
and times as well as non-UTC timekeeping systems, IMO,
strengthen the document even if it implies that more work will
be needed for other applications.  However, I do not believe it
is ready for publication as a standards track spec. I'm going to
try to avoid writing one of my long and detailed notes that many
people will not read but, instead, will try to concentrate on a
few key points (but with the understanding that they are closer
to examples than a comprehensive list of problems).

(1) ISO 8601 is a very widely adopted and used International
Standard.  In addition to the sorts of uses that can reasonably
be expected to show up in contexts related to Internet protocols
(and the Java time format work), it is heavily used in the
notations of a number of scientific fields and incorporated into
regulations in some countries.  While I have no problem at all
with the IETF extending 8601 in a way that is compatible with
that standard and how it might evolve, there is little or no
evidence in the document that serious consideration was given to
that issue.  In particular, the document's references to ISO
8601 are to the long-obsolete and withdrawn 1988 version of that
document and not to the current one(s) (the URL given in the
reference for [ISO8601:1988] leads to a page that says " Status:
Withdrawn" and does not even point to a current document).  For
reasons that closely parallel some of the recent RSWG
discussions about obsolete references and links, this document
should either reference the current version of ISO 8601 and
explain why the extension syntax chosen is unlikely to cause
conflicts in the future or should carefully and respectfully
explain why not.  If necessary, consider how the IETF would
react if some other SDO (possibly even an ISO subgroup)
referenced RFC 1163 and suggested it represented the IETF's
latest thinking on BGP and its use.

(2) Parts of the document are very confusing, to the point that
it is not clear what is being specified.  Take Section 2 as an
example.  The second paragraph includes "The latter convention
is in actual use, while the former always was handicapped...".
But the previous sentence points to RFC 5322 first and then to
RFC 2822.  Is it the later spec (5322) that is "in actual use"
or is the earlier spec, listed second?  And what does "in actual
use" mean?  There has been enough diversity in email systems,
especially various flavors of MUAs, that it is reasonable to
assume that someone, somewhere, implemented whatever 2822 or
5322 specified.  Then, in the next paragraph, the text goes on
to describe how, in the opinion of the authors (and, I presume,
the WG) "Z" has been used and then, in the one after says that
"Z" should now be interpreted differently. But then the last two
paragraphs of the section say that the old use is not deprecated
and then says "For the intents and purposes of the present
specification," (rather awkward English) "the local offset Z can
be used in its place".  That would seem to imply that we are
back to treating Z as a synonym for "-00:00" while the prior
paragraph starting "This specification updates..." seems to
imply that "Z" implies +00:00, which is consistent with most
international usage that allows single-letter time zone
indications.

It must be possible to write that section in a way that is
clear, that specifies how "Z" is to be interpreted, and that
identifies exactly what is being changed in 3339.  If the rest
of the section is intended to provide historical context, then
separate that out and identify it as such.

(3) Robert Sparks's Genart review [1] identifies several other
places where the specification is ambiguous as to what is
actually allowed.   I disagree with him only in that I do not
believe that list adds up to "Ready with Issues" but, instead,
that his list identifies things that the community (and the IESG
on its behalf) should insist on being clarified before the I-D
is approved.  For most or all of them, I believe that making
decisions and getting them clearly expressed is more important
than what the decisions actually are.  However, others may not
agree with that and "clearly" may be in the mind of the
beholder, so we should see a new version of the document and a
(brief, I hope) period for community review, not some quiet
revision negotiated with the IESG.

thanks,
   john

p.s. as a strictly editorial matter that would not be worth
mentioning except insofar as it is a symptom that the authors
and WG were not quite finished with this document before asking
that an IETF Last Call be initiated, there are five BCP
documents (six entries) listed as Normative References.  Two of
them are listed by BCP numbers, the others, including two that
make up one BCP, are listed by RFC numbers.  Is there any reason
for that distinction other than to confuse the reader?

[1]
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/last-call/WOmMJWxsMFjz12nZM3nz7o3aGG0