Re: How do we feel about conferences scraping addresses from the IETF?

On 04-Jun-23 11:45, John R Levine wrote:
I just got a spam announcement for "10th IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on
Computer Science and Data Engineering 2023 (IEEE CSDE 2023)" sent from a
bulk mail conmpany in Australia, nominally sent by a faculty member at a
university in New Zealand.

The spam was sent to ietf (at) johnlevine.com which is an address that
I only use in the IETF Datatracker.  It's not in any RFCs, it's not
anywhere else.

I am reasonably sure that scraping and spamming is illegal in New Zealand,

If so, it's remarkably badly enforced. You could always report this
to https://netsafe.org.nz, but don't hold your breath.

I get a *lot* of conference spam at my cs.auckland.ac.nz address,
and a negligible amount elsewhere. I wouldn't even know if this
one had come by, they get deleted so quickly.

but we're in the US.  Do we have a policy on third parties using our data
for their own purposes?

Is it realistic to even have such a policy? Do we think the serious
spammers would either know or care?

    Briam