Re: NomCom selection Fwd: Notification for draft-eastlake-rfc3797bis-00.txt

It appears that Donald Eastlake  <d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx> said:
>On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 10:37 PM Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> It seems as if the concerns about added delay could indeed be eliminated for
>> all practical purposes if we could find a random source that publishes
>> future randomn numbers in short intervals (hourly ?!)  - and keeps them published for
>> a sufficient long period for verification.
>
>The other substantial component of the delay is the time it takes for
>the Nomcom Chair to make a reasonable effort to contact the new
>tentatively selected person or persons and determine if they are
>actually contactable and are still willing to serve.
>
>> I am not so sure that i would want to trust the independent randomness of some
>> strage URL like https://api3.drand.sh though.

Why not? Is there some reason to think that it would manipluate the
result just to screw up the IETF nomcom? If you're wondering about
that particular RNG, see https://drand.love/. It's supported by a lot
of organizations we've all heard of.

So long as it's reasonably unpredictable, which drand certainly is, that's plenty good.

R's,
John