Re: NomCom selection Fwd: Notification for draft-eastlake-rfc3797bis-00.txt

On 4/25/2023 3:22 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:
I don't think re-randomize is what we should be doing.  Just go to the next one on the initial list.

The problem with that is gaming the system.  Say I'm selected, but the next on the list is someone from my organization that may have more time on their hands.  I can drop off without my organization losing a vote.  AIRC that was an actual problem for a previous nomcom.   An alternate scenario is that I'm an independent contractor with substantial portions of my income coming from X, and say that an X employee is next on the list.  I might be subject to pressure or remuneration to drop off.

Fore knowledge of the outcome is power of sorts and subject to misuse.  Better to make sure at any point where a decision is made, those decisions are independent from later events.

Later, Mike