Re: [admin-discuss] Next steps towards a net zero IETF

Hi,

My agenda:
  1. Save the planet through less flying.
  2. Improved engagement at in-person f2f meetings.
On 05.04.23 08:19, Lars Eggert wrote:

We've always trusted the WG chairs to make that determination, and use the different available participation venues (mailing list, in-person and remote interims, in-person meetings, etc.) in ways that is most effective for their WG for their current work items. While some chairs are certainly better than others in doing this, I believe this decentralized approach has a lot of value and is generally working OK.

You just wrote that there is a demand for more plenary time from some WGs, and I just posted demonstrations of show and tell.  And I didn't look that hard.   I participated in other WGs remotely that had this same problem: there was no need for an in-person, because there was almost no controversy.  In scim, paging was the hot topic and there were barely any comments, and even in emu, where we did have a healthy discussion, everyone came to the right conclusion even with remote participation.  The chairs are modeling their behavior on what they think will be success (Bob posted a good example of this, although he and I differ on what success looks like).

John's approach is incremental.  Earlier I would have been okay with that, but I don't think we have the time.  We need to be bolder.

Involving the ADs in this process might seem attractive in terms of oversight and/or to establish a common approach - but it also further increases the AD workload (c.f. the current discussion on the that). There are severe downsides to that.

There are clear downsides of not doing anything, which is the path from which we must depart.  I would argue that the risks of AD overload can be mitigated, albeit not eliminated, through clear and transparent processes that ADs themselves can follow.

Tooling could help.  For example:

This is just an example flow that attempts to motivate people to use both mailing lists and interim meetings so as to free up time for WGs that really need it.  I could easily see the # of working groups meeting shrink down by at least half who could better use the time.

Want to try it for one meeting?

Eliot

*Oddly, this discussion has enough heat that it might benefit from some in-person dialog.

**One could also imagine a requirement that TWO interim virtual meetings be held to introduce work, so that f2f time isn't required for that purpose.