[Last-Call] Dnsdir last call review of draft-ietf-ipsecme-add-ike-09

Reviewer: Patrick Mevzek
Review result: Ready with Nits

I have been selected as the DNS Directorate reviewer for this draft. The
DNS Directorate seeks to review all DNS or DNS-related drafts as
they pass through IETF last call and IESG review, and sometimes on special
request. The purpose of the review is to provide assistance to the ADs.
For more information about the DNS Directorate, please see
https://wiki.ietf.org/en/group/dnsdir

There are clear and direct references to various DNS RFCs and currently
active IDs and this draft is not in any major conflict with the wider DNS space.

At the IETF process level, which I don't master, because of last note in §4,
shouldn't that document explicitly say it updates RFC8598?

I do have the following nits or questions from a client implementor point of
view to report, which may be caused by my own very superficial knowledge of
IKE, so feel free to ignore as irrelevant:

- §3.1

"Length (2 octets, unsigned integer) - Length of the data in octets."

It is explained further how it is computed, but just this sentence alone is
unclear for someone implementing it as not stating length of which part of the
content (as the length field is kind of "in the middle" of the content itself)

In §3.2, there is "Length (2 octets, unsigned integer) - Length of the data in
octets." as well, with then no explanation on which data to consider for the
length.

"Authentication Domain Name (variable) - A fully qualified domain name of the
encrypted DNS resolver following the syntax defined in [RFC5890]."

Maybe specify which part of RFC5890?
But I agree not finding myself there a single section clearly for that point,
nor is the DNS terminology RFC providing a single definition.

- §3.2

"List of Hash Algorithm Identifiers (variable) - Specifies a list of 16-bit
hash algorithm identifiers that are supported by the encrypted DNS client."

Is order of items in the list relevant or not?

"Note that SHA2-256 is mandatory to implement."

SHA2-256 is only defined later in the document, at section 5 with:
"Implementations MUST support SHA2-256 [RFC6234]."

So the reference might need to be moved to its first appearance, from section 5
to 3.2

Also, I don't know if it is customary from elsewhere, but RFC6234
does not talk at all about SHA2-256 only about SHA256 or SHA-256,
no "SHA2". So maybe use the same moniker?
Same for other lengths, including in all examples at end.

I see that
https://www.iana.org/assignments/ikev2-parameters/ikev2-parameters.xhtml#hash-algorithms
references RFC7427 instead, which does use SHA2-256 terminology, so maybe
better to reference RFC7427 instead of RFC6234 above?

- §A.1

"For split-tunnel VPN configurations, the endpoint uses the Enterprise-provided
encrypted DNS resolver to resolve internal-only domain names."

Maybe add that the endpoint knows which domains are internal-only in that case
due to the INTERNAL_DNS_DOMAIN attribute?