Re: [Last-Call] Rtgdir last call review of draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-08

Dear Shuping

Thanks a lot for the review.

all your comments are resolved in just posted -09 of the draft.

Comments below inline.

Cheers
    Toerless

On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 03:23:22AM -0800, Shuping Peng via Datatracker wrote:
> Reviewer: Shuping Peng
> Review result: Has Nits
>
> Hello,
>
> I have been selected as the Routing Directorate reviewer for this draft. The
> Routing Directorate seeks to review all routing or routing-related drafts as
> they pass through IETF last call and IESG review, and sometimes on special
> request. The purpose of the review is to provide assistance to the Routing ADs.
> For more information about the Routing Directorate, please see
> ​http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/rtg/trac/wiki/RtgDir
>
> Although these comments are primarily for the use of the Routing ADs, it would
> be helpful if you could consider them along with any other IETF Last Call
> comments that you receive, and strive to resolve them through discussion or by
> updating the draft.
>
> Document: draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-08
> Reviewer: Shuping Peng
> Review Date: 27 Febrary 2023
> IETF LC End Date: 2 March 2023
> Intended Status: Standards

> considered prior to publication.
>
> Comments:
> 3.2
> "..., otherwise it is 0." What does "it" indicate?

changed to: otherwise the Source Address is set to 0 in the assert record.

> 3.3
> How to understand this "layer" mentioned in the following text?
> "Instead, sending and receiving of PackedAssert messages as specified in the
> following subsections is logically a layer in between sending/receiving of
> Assert messages and serialization/deserialization of their respective packets."

Yeah.. reconsidering what we do, it's not ideal to describe it as a a layer. Changed to:

are logically new packetization options for assert records in addition to the (not packed) {{RFC7761}} Assert Message.

> Major Issues:
> No major issues found.
>
> Minor Issues:
> No minor issues found.
>
> Nits:
>
> Abstract
> As PIM Sparse Mode (PIM-SM), the term "PIM-SSM" is better to be expanded as
> well.

Fun side node: when we finalized RFC8815 with RFC Editor we made PIM-SSM become
a well-known term in https://www.rfc-editor.org/materials/abbrev.expansion.txt,
so everybody in the IETF should know it's expansion (as opposed to PIM-SM)) ;-),
and therefore it is not mandatory to expand the term on first use.
(expanded anyhow ;-)

> 1. Introduction
> It would be better to expand "RP" on its first use.

Fixed

> 2. Problem statement
> s/occur/occurs

I rather changed to "PIM Asserts occur"
                               ^
> 3.1
> "PIM Hello Assert Packing Option" or "PIM Assert Packing Hello Option"?

"PIM Assert Packing Hello Option" - fixed.

> 3.2
> (S,G) are better to be expanded.
> Maybe in the following text "...Source Address (S), Group Address (G)...".

Did check a few other RFCs (including RFC7761) and this is never expanded.

> s/P)acked/(P)

fixed.

> It would be better to start a paragraph from "If the (P) flag is 2, ..."

fixed.

> 3.3
> s/encoding/encodings

Sentence changed due to other reviewer.