Re: [Last-Call] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-emu-tls-eap-types-11

On Feb 3, 2023, at 8:19 PM, Melinda Shore via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Reviewer: Melinda Shore
> Review result: Ready
>
> This document updates TLS-based EAP methods to use key derivation mechanisms
> from TLS 1.3, along with other TLS 1.3-required updates.  It's clearly written
> and I believe could be implemented from.  There are several very minor nits,
> which I actually don't think need to be addressed but are mentioned here in the
> interest of completeness.  Section 3.1 is a very nice piece of work, as is the
> security considerations.

  Thanks.  The document took many years of work, and Section 3.1 only showed up in the document late in the process, but thankfully not too late.

> 2.1 “The inclusion of the EAP type makes the derivation method specific.”
> “method-specific” or “specific to the method” might be clearer

  I'll change it to "method-specific".

> 2.2 “PAC” should probably be spelled out on its first use.  Also EMSK and other
> initialisms

  Thanks.  I'll fix that.

> “j’th inner methods” should be singular
> “In TLS 1.3, the derivation of IMCK[j] used both a different label” should be
> present tense (“uses”)

  Fixed.

> 2.4 should probably use either MS-CHAP or MS-CHAPv1 consistently

  It should use "MS-CHAP" to mean "v1 or v2", and then add the "v" suffix only when referring to a specific version.

  Alan DeKik.