Re: [Last-Call] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-lisp-pubsub-10

Hi,

Having read up more on RFC 9303 I still don’t see how the LISP-SEC mechanism in any form source node authentication of the ITR that makes the MAP-REQUEST. I see a mechanism that tries to prevent modification enroute of the MAP-REQUEST and the MAP-REPLY. Am I missing something here?

So there is clearly a deployment dependencies here. I think for a limited scope deployment you can secure this by using a restricted overlay for the control plane so that not anyone can send these to the relevant nodes. However, for a large scale multi domain deployment this becomes tricky. Source authentication requires that one knows all the xTRs that can make subscription requests and thus can verify their right to do it. Otherwise we are more looking at this systems as DNS with a subscription for updates. Anyone can ask to install state, and the node needs to be very careful with that. To me it appears that this later is part of your threat model, and there are not sufficient warnings in place or restricting the scope of the usage of the mechanism.

In addition there was no protection against spoofed source addresses, making the issue even worse, but that appear to be reasonably fixable.

Cheers

Magnus