Re: [Last-Call] [Ace] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-ace-cmpv2-coap-transport-05

Hi Valery
Apologies for not getting back on time, and a Happy New Year.

Please see my response to your responses:

> This text is insufficient, in my opinion. It is only concerned with
> CoAP-to-HTTP proxy, while the resource exhausting attack can be mounted
> against the CoAP server itself (in settings with no proxy).

<M.S> Section 11 of rfc7252 covers all these scenarios with respect to
various attacks on CoAP servers and how to mitigate them. I don't
think it's useful to mention the same information here again since I
have already added a reference to RFC7252 security considerations.

> While definitely related, I do not think this text fully covers
> consideration #2. The main idea is that without cryptographic
> protection on transport level (DTLS) there is no protection of CoAP
> metadata, so attackers may obtain quite a lot of useful information
> (despite the CMP messages themselves are protected) and even
> modify CoAP metadata.

<M.S.> This is already mentioned in the section 3 for DTLS support:
Although the CMP protocol does not depend upon the underlying transfer
mechanism for protecting the messages but in cases when
confidentiality protection is desired CoAP over DTLS <xref
target="RFC9147"/> MAY be used providing a hop-by-hop security.

> Using CoAP over DTLS is not specific to the CMP over CoAP,
> It can be use with any protocol utilizing CoAP. You added
> no additional requirements for using CoAP over DTLS that are specific to
> CMP (except for recommendation to use long-lived connections).
> For this reason I think that it is more natural to place
> this text in Security Considerations (as in RFC 6712).

<M.S.> Agreed, I will move the DTLS section in the security considerations.

> My point was that CoAP is vulnerable *not only* "due to the connectionless
> characteristics of UDP itself". There are a lot of different aspects that are
> covered in details in the Security Considerations in RFC 7252. So I think you should either
> explain why you think it is UDP that makes CoAP vulnerable or (better IMO)
> delete this sentence as vague and just keep the next sentence referencing
> Security Considerations of CoAP.

<M.S.>
Agreed, I will remove the statement "due to the connectionless
characteristics of UDP itself"

Please let me know if you agree to my responses to your comments.

Regards,
Mohit