times square 15 sec delay new years

On Fri, Jan 6, 2023 at 12:42 PM Dino Farinacci <farinacci@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I was rather annoyed to be watching the Times Square new years eve celebrations on You Tube TV with a 15 second delay. That could have been avoided if multicast had been a part of the distribution technology. But I can understand why it wasn't.

I would point at that time delay being more related to various aspects
of my bête noir, bufferbloat, cropping up, be it in the transport
itself, or in the application. RTMP implementations, in particular,
are notoriously laggy. There are multiple other problems possibly in
that time delay related to encode, decode time. Also, for all we know,
some of that lag was for a censor on the stream.

Actually investigating where those 15 seconds went would be
interesting - who to ask?

Recently some congestion controlled webrtc optimizations for OBS and
twitch arrived from this fella:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/sean-dubois_github-pionwebrtc-pure-go-implementation-activity-6956254392949825536-bdac/

I really don't think that "multicast" could have helped until we
started to get rid of the other 14.9 sec built into the system here.

--
This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz