Re: [saag] Ten years after Snowden (2013 - 2023), is IETF keeping its promises?

> On Jan 4, 2023, at 12:05 AM, Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> For all end to end communications the routing system needs to know how to deliver the packet. Obscuring the mapping between the address and the location moves the anonymisation problem from the data plane to the routing plane. This makes life

I wouldn't call it the routing plane, but more like a database control-plane.

> harder for the observer, but I am not sure that it makes it sufficiently hard as to be worth the cost. One advantage of the

Isn't that the goal? But the cost for the mapping system isn't just for a single benefit. For example, how about maintaining anonymity while roaming?

> topological association of addresses is the intrinsic address aggregation property which both reduces routing traffic overhead and speeds up convergence.

This is true. But punching holes in aggregates and hi-jack attacks are still pervasive.

Dino