Re: [Last-Call] [art] Artart last call review of draft-billon-expires-07

--On Monday, December 12, 2022 16:48 +0000 Alexey Melnikov
<alexey.melnikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> As I understand it, the argument here is that somwehere there
>> are  Expires headers with contents similar enough to
>> timestamps that they  can be confused with them, but that
>> mean something different enough  that interpreting them as
>> "no longer valid" would break something.   Since RFC 2156
>> was published in 1998, either these messages are more  than
>> 25 years old, or they knew that their use conflicts with a
>> standards track RFC and they didn't care.

Or they were part of a different community than the X.400/MIXER
one -- perhaps as a result of forking off from X.400 earlier
than 1998 or having entirely different origins-- and therefore
didn't notice, or pay attention to, RFC 2156.  What is more
important, however, is that "no longer valid" can be interpreted
in multiple ways, at least partially depending on what the
message is actually about.

    john