Re: [Last-Call] review of draft-billon-expires-08

--On Saturday, December 24, 2022 20:46 -0500 Keith Moore
<moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> publication as a standards-track RFC.   The authors have
> failed to adequately respond to feedback given to earlier
> drafts, and this document fails to address identified concerns.
>
> Specific feedback:
>
> 1. Section 3 specifies Advice to Message Creators, but nothing
> in this document forbids other parties besides message
> creators adding an Expires field to a message.
>
> 2. Nothing in this document forbids parties other than the
> recipient from deleting a message based on the Expires field.
> Given that earlier versions of this document at least implied
> such such deletion could occur, this omission is glaring.
>
> 3. Section 5 says "A message creator can put any date in an
> Expires header field, ..." and then goes on to address
> possible harms that could result "Without further knowledge of
> the message creator".   It completely fails to anticipate
> that other agents NOT operated by the message creator, that
> handle the message, could also add an Expires header
> field.   Given that this issue was already raised in Last
> Call feedback to earlier versions of this document, this
> omission is glaring.
>
> Recommendations:
>
> 1. This document should probably be abandoned.   Similar
> proposals have been informally discussed several times in the
> past.   The reason that they were never formally considered
> for standardization is that nobody could find a reliable
> solution to the obvious ways in which this header field could
> be misinterpreted or misused.   I personally don't see a way
> to fix the problems without reliable authentication.   It's
> possible that, if properly used on both originator and
> recipient ends, DKIM could be adequate, but the details remain
> unspecified.
>
> 2. Perhaps more importantly, the authors of this proposal have
> demonstrated an unwillingness to meet RFC 2026 criteria, and
> an unwillingness to build consensus around their proposal.
> So if there is continued interest in addressing this
> document's problems, new authors should be identified.

While mostly agreeing with Keith's analysis, let me add one
thing to his feedback list:

4.  At least part of the underlying problem here is that there
has never been a clear definition of what "Expires" actually
means.   While I appreciate the consolidation of terminology in
-08 onto "loses its validity", it is hard to believe that there
is general consensus across the Internet about what it means for
a message to be "valid".  Realistically, that may depend on the
contents of the message itself.  Ignoring that complication and
even if things are working perfectly and only the originator and
recipient are involved, the message originator presumably has
some intent about the meaning of the term and the actions to be
taken.  The recipient then either makes up their own definition
or attempts to guess the intent of the originator.  "Guess what
I meant" has never been a good basis for designing protocols and
is one of the things that can lead to the inappropriate deletion
issues that are among Keith's concern.  The observation that
some historical specialized systems did define "Expires" (or
some header fields that might be assumed to share semantics with
it) in ways that are less fuzzy and appear to be inconsistent
adds to that problem.  The fact that I haven't seen those uses
recently on the public Internet (or that one of the authors has
not seen them at all) does not prove they are not still out
there.  It may just demonstrate that neither of us are part of
the right groups or have looked in the right places recently.

IMO, that just strengthens Keith's two Recommendations.  It may
add another possibility to the first of them: without, in any
way, reducing the importance of adequate authentication of the
originator of the header field, if we are serious about doing
something along these lines, it is probably important to allow
(require?) that originator to make the intent clear.  That could
be done with information in the content of the header field in
addition to the date-time or by defining a new header field
(with a new keyword/name) that incorporates the more precise
definition.

Finally, while it is probably less important than those above,
another issue has been raised and not addressed in the current
draft (draft-billon-expires-08).  It is related to the inherent
ambiguity of future dates and times that are not explicitly
defined to be in UTC.  For future dates, that ambiguity is not
only about the difficulty of inferring whether "+0000" (or, for
that matter, "-0000") means "UTC", "a local time zone with a
zero offset from UTC", or "just guessing; no time zone
information was really available", but about what time zone a
particular location will observing at some point in the future.
I can think of several fairly easy ways to get around the
problem, including being specific about those options and
supplying more locale information, suggesting (or requiring)
that expirations not be specified to more precision than dates,
or clearly identifying the problem as one of concern.  Ignoring
it entirely does not seem to me to be good enough.

thanks,
   john