Re: [Rfc6761bis] New Non-WG Mailing List: rfc6761bis

Hi Ralph,

On Monday, December 12th, 2022 at 16:35, Ralph Droms <rdroms.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a reminder: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8244
>
> Dunno where the conversation has gone since publication of RFC8244

8244 opens with the premise that ICANN and IETF have nominal control over the "domain namespace" -- e.g. 8244's problems 1 through 4. "Domain namespace" is defined as "the set of all possible domain names."

I think neither ICANN nor the IETF have or should have control over the domain namespace; they only have control over that subset of the domain namespace that is used by IETF protocols like the DNS.

There is a point, I believe, at which the IETF should step aside and avoid trying to nanny the designers of other parts of the namespace. Many (maybe most) of the problems identified in 8244 are consequences of not acknowleding such a threshold of care.

I do agree that narrative around all of this suffers a discontinuity if the points described in 8244 aren't carefully considered as part of any new proposal to scope the limits of the IETF's responsibility.

Joe