Re: [Rfc6761bis] New Non-WG Mailing List: rfc6761bis

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 11:35 AM, Ralph Droms <rdroms.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As a reminder: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8244

Dunno where the conversation has gone since publication of RFC8244

Indeed. As a slightly less terse version of the above:

RFC8244 - "Special-Use Domain Names Problem Statement"

Abstract:
The policy defined in RFC 6761 for IANA registrations in the "Special-Use Domain Names" registry has been shown, through experience, to present challenges that were not anticipated when RFC 6761 was written.  This memo presents a list, intended to be comprehensive, of the problems that have since been identified.  In addition, it reviews the history of domain names and summarizes current IETF publications and some publications from other organizations relating to Special-Use Domain Names.

This document should be considered required reading for IETF participants who wish to express an informed opinion on the topic of Special-Use Domain Names.

- Ralph