Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-billon-expires-06.txt> (Updated Use of the Expires Message Header Field) to Proposed Standard

On 29/11/2022 14:28, The IESG wrote:

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
following document: - 'Updated Use of the Expires Message Header Field'
   <draft-billon-expires-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
last-call@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2022-12-27. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

    This document allows broader use of the Expires message header field
    for mail messages.  Message creators can then indicate when a message
    sent becomes valueless and can safely be deleted, while recipients
    would use the information to delete or ignore these valueless
    messages.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-billon-expires/

I read the draft and I support its publication as an RFC. I implemented the draft in a webmail client.

I agree with Barry Leiba's review suggesting a better Introduction section.

I only have a small nit:

RFC 5322 defines syntax for the Date header field:

   orig-date = "Date:" date-time CRLF

Note the terminating CRLF.

I suggest this document add CRLF to the end of

   expires = "Expires" ":" date-time

to match.

Best Regards,
Alexey