Re: What exactly is an internet (service) provider?

Hi Hadmut,

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:42:23 +0200
Hadmut Danisch <hadmut@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> at least here in Germany Internet providers tend to
> do and not to do what they want.
>
> - Some cut off their clients every 24 hours (DSL)
>
> - Some block or slowdown particular tcp ports
>   to get rid of peer-to-peer file sharing
>
> - Some redirect the first web access to any site
>   to their own to force you to read their ads
>
> - Very few support multicast. When I asked my
>   own provider, they didn't even know what this is.
>   (They said 'no, because they don't support Linux'.)
>
> - IPv6? Huh? What's that?
>
> - At least one large provider blocks port 25 to certain IP
>   addresses in order to force you to use the provider's
>   mail relay and have the sender e-mail address replaced
>   by the customers default address at the provider's domain.
>   They say it's against spam, but I guess it's because they
>   take money for opening the port and allowing to use
>   SMTP and such any sender domain.
>
> - ...
>

> So it would be good to have some kind of
> standard or definition, what exactly an
> internet provider has to do and what to refrain
> from.

I tend to come up with the answer to your question the following way :

(Q) What is the "Internet" ?

(A) A global network that runs the "Internet Protocols", and follows the
Internet architecture.

(Q) What is the Internet architecture ?

(A) It is described in RFC1958 - "Architectural Principles of the Internet"
(http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1958.html).

(Q) What does an Internet Service Provider do ?

(A) Provides access to the "Internet".

(Q) What if the "Internet Service Provider" doesn't provide access to the
Internet in a way that follows RFC1958 ?

(A) They aren't providing access to the Internet, so I think they shouldn't be
calling themselves an "Internet" service provider.

A number of things you describe, such as blocking port 25, redirecting URLs
etc. do not follow RFC1958. I don't consider those organisations to be
true ISPs, and I don't give them my "Internet" access business, as they don't
seem to be prepared to properly provide it.

Regards,
Mark.