Re: "Deviating from specs"

On 2022-10-23, at 17:32, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, to repeat my
> point, Miles's question about "how we got away from writing
> compliance tests..." appears to be based on an incorrect premise
> because we never did write such tests.

Well, “we” did get away from compliance tests in the 1980s/1990s by switching to Internet technologies, which were emphasizing interoperability over compliance.
(And, recently, we have learned to significantly improve interoperability in some cases by agreeing on test vectors, which are often what compliance tests would distill to…)

Grüße, Carsten