Re: Problem of blocking ICMP packets

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:23:44 EDT, Mike S said:

> Any router configured to block ICMP packets is, quite simply,
> in violation of RFC792 (STD5), which clearly states "ICMP is actually
> an integral part of IP, and must be implemented by every IP module."
> For a router, "implemented" means forwarded to the destinations next
> hop.
>
> So the fact is, by blocking ICMP, such ISPs have broken IP connectivity,
> and can no longer claim to be providing Internet (IP) service.

Be careful there - that's uncomfortably close to saying that every firewall
in existence is in violation of the RFCs, because they intentionally don't
make a best-effort attempt to deliver every packet (I know of no vendors
whos gear *can't* forward ICMP - but know plenty that provide knobs
to prevent it under administrative control (i.e. a firewall))...

An even more annoying problem is when our site sends a packet with
the DF bit set, it hits a tunnel near the far end - and the ICMP returned
has an RFC1918 source address (You tier-1 and tier-2 who number their
links out of 1918 know who you are..;).  The ICMP is then dropped on
the return path by a router properly implementing martian filtering...