Re: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-lamps-5g-nftypes-05

Robert:

Thanks for the prompt review.

> Reviewer: Robert Sparks
> Review result: Ready with Issues

> by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
> like any other last call comments.

> <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>
> Document: draft-ietf-lamps-5g-nftypes-05
> Reviewer: Robert Sparks
> Review Date: 2022-10-13
> IETF LC End Date: 2022-10-27
> IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

> issues to consider before this gets to IESG Evaluation.
>
> Major Issue:
>
> (Apologies if I'm forgetting a well known reason this isn't an issue):
>
> Doesn't IA5String allow all of 0-127 in ascii? Do you want NUL through SP and
> DEL in NF Type names?

The IA5String definition is generally equivalent to the first 128 characters of the ASCII alphabet.

It is probably a good idea not allow the control characters (values 0 through 31), space (value 32) and delete (value 127).

I will confirm with by coauthors that these limitations are not a problem.

> Minor Issue:
> The document says operators need to not use colliding names but then explicitly
> declaires on how an operator would know if a name is already in use is out of
> scope. Surely there was a discussion about a registry, and the IESG is
> certainly going to ask. It would save some time if you could add something to
> the shepherd writeup explaining why a registry wasn't pursued in this document?

The standard ones are managed by 3GPP, so an IANA registry seems like an overstep.

> Nits:
>
> At:
>
> "The 49 NF types that are defined for 3GPP Release 17 listed in Table
> 6.1.6.3.3-1 of [TS29.510], and each NF type is identified by a short ASCII
> string."
>
> the sentence doesn't parse. Do you mean "are listed" or "There are 49 NF types"
> or something else?

There are 49 NF Types defined in for 3GPP Release 17 listed in
Table 6.1.6.3.3-1 of [TS29.510].

> At:
>
> "The NFTypes MUST contain only an ASCII string, MUST contain at least one ASCII
> character, and MUST NOT contain more than 32 ASCII characters."
>
> I suggest "Each NFType MUST"

Yes.  I will make that change.

> At:
>
> "The mechanism for an operator to determine whether an ASCII string associate
> with a NF Type is unique across operators is outside the scope of this document"
>
> I suggest "string associate with" -> "string is associated with"

Yes.  I will make that change.

Russ