Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

-------- Original message --------
From: Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/14/22 12:37 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

On 10/14/22 11:42, Livingood, Jason wrote:

> "Working respectfully with other participants" does not just prohibit personal attacks, it also means respecting their effort, their contribution and their motives.  As many others have already stated, it is perfectly possible to disagree with something while maintaining that respect.

It's worth noting that folks' motives are often questionable - it's not like nobody has pushed their employer's standards through the process, for less than pure reasons.

> Just to cite one example, when someone says something is "stupid" without saying more, I generally just rewrite it in my mind to "___________ does not like that thing, but provided no support for their opinion".   I don't get offended, but neither do I lose any sleep over it, and it doesn't carry much weight with me one way or another.   To me it seems like the best response is mostly to ignore it.

Nicely put.  It's just as easy to NOT take offense as it is to take offense.  And.. it's often been my observation that folks who take offense at something are often using feigned offense to deflect disagreement.