Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

> On 7 Oct 2022, at 14:46, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> --On Friday, October 7, 2022 10:50 +0100 Jay Daley
> <exec-director@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Dan however did not introduce it for any serious debate or
>> other genuine contribution, he did so solely for the purpose
>> of belittling and ridiculing it.
>
> Jay,
>
> While agreeing that his statement was extremely distasteful and
> unhelpful and without necessarily disagreeing with either your
> overall conclusions or reasoning, how can you be sure you
> understood Dan's motivations?
>
> […]
>
> Would you care to restate it in terms of his actions and
> behavior rather than his intentions?

My statement above is indeed a statement of actions and behaviour.  It is an objective fact that his post had no content that was not ridicule.  My statement is therefore, to use a phrase from your postscript, based solely on observable behaviour and nothing else.

You or others might wish to speculate on a motive not inherent in the text that somehow alters the seriousness of that post, but I don’t think that would be appropriate for me to do when making moderation decisions.

Jay

PS In an effort to keep this thread manageable, I’m going to throttle back my posting frequency now.

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director