Re: NomCom 2022-2023 Call for Nominations

Mary B <mary.h.barnes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I agree with what Mike is saying in general.  I see absolutely no
    > reason why an individual cannot send comments to the Nomcom chair
    > wanting them to remain anonymous or only shared with voting members and
    > not discussed in meetings with liaisons.  That could be something that

In the three nomcoms I was in, the nomcom chair accepted anonymous comments, and
as  nomcom chair I did the same.  I can not recall if this was made use of,
my feeling is yes, at least once.

I was never asked not to share with liasons, but I think that had I been
given a good reason, I would have done exactly that.

    > When I was Nomcom chair, my view was that the liaisons are there to
    > ensure the process is followed and to take any questions they might
    > have back to the bodies they represent and only interject if there is a
    > process problem or it seems that the voting members might not be
    > understanding requirements for the role.

Agreed.

    > I personally did not think it
    > appropriate for them to be in interviews and really I don't see why
    > they would need to see comments.

All 5 five of the nomcoms that I was part of had liasons observing
interviews.   I think that all parties were aware of conflicts, did not
participate in interviews when it was someone from their company, etc.

    > So, I think there should be a channel for limiting information seen by
    > non-voting members.

I don't think that the decryption key was shared with liasons, but my memory
is not strong here.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-