Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

Hello.

> On 29 Sep 2022, at 18:15, IETF Chair <chair@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Following community feedback after various incidents, as documented below, the IESG has initiated a posting rights (PR) action that would restrict the posting rights of Dan Harkins, as per the procedures found in BCP 83 (RFC 3683). Specifically, his posting privileges to these lists would be suspended:
>
> * admin-discuss
> * gendispatch
> * ietf
> * terminology
>
> In the IESG's opinion, this individual has a history of sending emails that are inconsistent with the IETF Guidelines for Conduct (RFC 7154) and thereby "disrupt the consensus-driven process" (RFC 3683). Among these are contributions that:
>
> * Express racism in the form of denying, belittling, and ridiculing anti-racist sentiment and efforts
>
> * Are rude and abusive, and often amount to insulting ridicule
>
> (Links to examples of such emails sent to the lists above during the last two years are provided at the end of this email.)

I have reviewed the provided emails and sadly I think the IESG is correct in making this decision. The behaviour of Dan Harkins on the lists is not conducive to a welcoming environment for people to participate in, quite the opposite (and the IETF isn't easy to participate in to begin with, but that's a different topic).

It looks like the IETF will be better off without Dan "contributing" on the lists.

Cheers,
Sander