Re: Discontinuing XMPP support after IETF 115

On 2022-09-08, at 02:14, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One of the reasons for an organization to choose a standard is that there is a SDO which will continue to maintain the standard.

Can we get rid of the red herring that, just because a specific protocol is no longer being used for a specific business process of the IETF, the IETF also immediately needs to stop maintaining that protocol?

Jeez.
We can consider ourselves lucky that we don’t run a diaper factory.

For those who aren’t tracking it, XMPP is alive and well in a number of niches, but its appeal as a general purpose chat protocol has waned when the business interests of Google (and Apple) made them abandon it and no strong independent support structure emerged.  HTTP-based chat solutions have turned out to provide better business opportunities.  We can mourn the resulting centralization, but that lamentation doesn’t help us in our day-to-day work.  We definitely won’t turn the tide by attempting to keep the protocol in place for our own chat requirements (as much as I’d like to try).

Grüße, Carsten