Re: Returning to "drop#" as a URI scheme name (was: Re: HTTP is a domain name)

--On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 12:36 -0400 Timothy Mcsweeney
<tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's pretty easy to say there is no evidence of how it works
> when you refuse to try it.

Not what I said or at least not what I intended to say.

>  As per our conversation a couple
> months back when I asked you about getting a 5xx response code
> added to your bis draft, I told you to send me a simple hello
> email to test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and follow the link in the reply.
>
> Go ahead, I'll wait.

I think you are confusing two very separate things.

(1) If I send a message (deliberately with subject and body of
"test", I get a response that tells me that address blocks
everything except from people on the safe list and then gives a
link for being added to that list.  That message is not
different in any substantive way from dozens, probably hundreds,
of messages I've received over the years whose theme is "unless
we know you and/or can authenticate you, your mail isn't getting
through and here is how to fix that".

As an interesting example, I've had a mailbox (different names,
different platforms) since the 1970s that has never gotten any
spam or other trash because it requires proprietary sender
authentication before a message is accepted.  The same thing
could be done, albeit less reliably because of the ease of
faking email, with a white list.   In the years in which the
rules have been enforced in the MTA (delivery receiver-SMTP)
rather than at or near the MUA, I generally have not generated a
bounce or reply message on the theory that I don't want to tell
bad actors that the address is active and give them an incentive
to break any authentication system I might be using.

Your model, as I understand it, is different from that, but
really not much.  It is even less different from systems that
respond to incoming messages (either per-message,
per-apparent-sender, or within some time period) with a response
that says "have not seen you (or this message) before (or
recently), please perform the following act to prove that you
are not a dumb robot".

For your system, if I then send a second message --same source
address, different subject line and content, I get (after a
fairly short wait), nothing.  Going through the link gives me a
short form that presumably allows you (or your robot surrogate
-- I can't tell and don't care) to decide whether to add the
address to a whitelist.  Again, nothing obviously new about that
either, details about what you put in your form and how it is
processed notwithstanding.

Now, do such systems "work"?  Sure, if the number of qualified
senders is kept sufficiently small (some of the variations don't
scale terribly well, even if they may be able to handle thousand
of senders in their mechanism or databases) and people are
willing to go along.  However, every person you ask to go
through the link and fill out that form is likely to wonder
whether communicating with you at that address is worth the
trouble.  You might or not like the answer.  It would also
suggest some behavior you almost certainly would not like, e.g.,
having those who maintain mailing lists set up a handshake
protocol that would prevent you from posting if your address
would not receive messages from anyone on the list without
registration.  That would certainly protect you from spam, but
would also protect you from many legitimate messages.

And, again, nothing novel in any of that.   The fact that we
have not seen widespread adoption creates a real question of why
you think your method would achieve widespread adoption.  If you
don't care about that, you may have a tool that works for you
and your preferences but, if it is not of obvious general use
and likely to see such adoption, I see no reason why the IETF
should spend time on it, much less start altering some rather
basic protocol specifications (or at least how they are
interpreted.

(2) None of that has, at least AFAICT, anything to do with a
"drop#" URI type or syntax.  Things appear to work perfectly
well with a conventional URL.  Part of the "won't work" comment
is that, if you were to convert the message you are sending out
to use a drop# URL rather than an HTTPS one, the overwhelming
fractions of email clients in the world would generate an error
if anyone tried to use the link.  Most of those that did not
would say something like "unknown or syntactically invalid URI,
what do you expect me to do with it".  Either way, if there is
no deployment beyond MUAs and browsers whom you control or have
convinced to implement specific support for your
scheme/mechanism, it is hard to figure out why the IETF should
care, much less invest effort.

Same comment applies to use of such a URI in a browser: much as
I might wish it different, few, if any browsers today are good
and handling URI schemes they don't recognize and fewer are
going to recognize something that does not conform to the syntax
of 3986 as a URI at all.

Most of the same comments apply to your idea of a special email
response code.  We decided back when the "extended code" idea
was introduced that we did not want to introduce more
three-digit codes unless the need was very clear and very
strong.   That decision was reinforced by the knowledge that
both the specifications and most implementations provided for
checking the first digit only, especially if the rest of the
code was unrecognized.   You have not made --or, IMO, even tried
to make-- a compelling case as to which the email infrastructure
needs an extra code.  That case is very different from one you
might make that your particular idea might benefit from such a
code.

More generally...

If this were a novel idea or set of ideas, my personal reaction
(maybe not the IETF's) would be "let's see how we can define it
so it does not require modification of core protocols or with
deployment across the Internet as a condition for being useful".
With those modifications, let's go ahead and get it documented
and see if anyone [e]se] cares to modify their systems in a way
that would make it useful to more than just Tim and his closest
friends.  Even though few, if any, of the essential ideas are
novel, that is a longer form of what I said in my last note.

best,
  john