Re: An objection was raised

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 09:48:45AM -0500, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
> > So we can see games in which a given
> > selected member observes that "if I quit, then candidate N+1 is
> > selected, and I know that my company would prefer this candidate N+1 in
> > the committee, for example because of seniority." We may be worried
> > about that kind of games.
>
> Wow. I did not know that there are companies that would consider doing
> these types of things.

Historically, there were concerns about some (well, one) very large
networking company that sent a very large number of engineers to the
IETF, and for which being able to improve and influence internet
standards was apparently a part of their business strategy.

Whether or not this was true, or just perception, I'll leave to others
to debate.  I'll also leave it to others to debate whether such a
concern (either in terms of perception or reality) is a big issue in
2022.

						- Ted