Re: Network Energy Management

In the modern world, our job is of course to build an Internet that supports sustainably. However, energy minimisation is not a concept that I recall being discussed in mainstream protocol design discussion. Alex’s work is at least a start in this direction.

Most other organisations take sustainability seriously. Indeed the spec to become a chartered engineer in the UK and I imagine at least in Europe requires that you demonstrate sustainability as part of your work practice.

The IETF needs to take sustainability seriously in our operations, but more importantly in our product.

Perhaps it is time for a new mandatory section in RFCs: sustainability?

Perhaps it is time for an area on sustainability?

Perhaps the Nomcom should be making sustainability a selection criteria for the next tranche of IETF leaders?

- Stewart