Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-uta-rfc7525bis-09

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 12:41 PM Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi again,

The authors have conferred on this and at this time we don't think that
we can recommend anything other than EC ciphers, for several reasons:

1. DHE negotiation is broken.

2. Static RSA is out of the question.

3. Post-quantum (PQ) methods aren't ready yet.

Our forecast is that a few years from now the PQ methods will be ready
for recommending in 7525ter, but for now EC is the best we can do.

I agree with the authors on leaving the draft as-is. However, it should also be pointed out that the document delegates this choice to TLS1.3, if it's in use.[0]

So, deployments also have the option to switch to TLS1.3 if a problem arises with EC and TLS1.2, right?

thanks,
Rob

[0] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-uta-rfc7525bis#section-4.3