Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-uta-rfc7525bis-09

On 7/30/22 9:30 AM, Cullen Jennings wrote:

On Jul 14, 2022, at 1:13 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:stpeter@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Given the requirements for crypto agility, I think this there should be at least one MTI algorithm that does not rely on EC. Pinning all your hopes on a single algorithm surely is not the best security advice the IETF can provide. If a EC did have a problem, clearly we would want something already build and
deployed that we could switch too.

The authors will discuss this and reply again.

I just wanted to see if there were any update on this one. I think it is the most serious concern raised in my review.

I think the authors might have missed this one in our work on -10.

Hi again,

The authors have conferred on this and at this time we don't think that we can recommend anything other than EC ciphers, for several reasons:

1. DHE negotiation is broken.

2. Static RSA is out of the question.

3. Post-quantum (PQ) methods aren't ready yet.

Our forecast is that a few years from now the PQ methods will be ready for recommending in 7525ter, but for now EC is the best we can do.

Peter