Re: Meetecho observer logins and privacy

FWIW - in the past, the audio stream provided the anonymous / observe rx-only channel (and posted slides would provide the content).

On 7/27/2022 10:34 AM, pierce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
+1

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of John C Klensin
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2022 9:15 AM
To: iesg@xxxxxxxx
Cc: ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Meetecho observer logins and privacy

Hi.

In recent years, there has been an option for people to observe IETF WG
meetings, plenaries, etc., for which Meetecho is used without identifying
themselves with a Datatracker login.  People taking advantage of that option
could, of course, not actively participate in the sessions, get in the mic
line, etc.  That option no longer exists.  I gather the thinking is that,
because videos are available on YouTube with only a short delay, the option
to observe in real time is no longer necessary.  For the overwhelming number
of cases, that is almost certainly correct.

However, my recollection is that the decision that is must be possible to be
an anonymous observer in real time was made, on privacy grounds, after
significant community discussion and IETF
consensus.   IIR, some of that discussion included a sense that
disadvantaging such observers in any way was inconsistent with the privacy
principles the IETF was trying to promote.

I hope we can avoid reopening the original discussion.  However, we normally
take the position that a decision made by IETF consensus can only be
reversed by IETF consensus.  AFAICT, the decision to remove the anonymous
observer functionality was made without any timely announcement and
opportunity for community comment.  So... How was this decision made and by
what process?
Does the principle that decisions made by the community can only be reversed
by the community no longer apply in some cases and, if so, which ones?

thanks,
    john