Re: respect privacy please !

--On 22. mai 2004 10:31 -0400 John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Spencer,

I may be just misunderstanding your sense of humor, but it seems to me
that any sort of formal experimental process is too heavyweight for this,
or at least the core issue.  It seems to me that what we have is...

	* Jordi noticed a problem and pointed it out.

	* Harald indicated that the core issue had been noticed
	before and fixed, but the fix had apparently come
	unglued between the last meeting and this one... without
	anyone but Jordi noticing.

	* Some further discussion then suggested that "get
	explicit consent as a condition of registration" was
	probably better, and certainly no worse, than "notifying
	people about what will happen".

I assume that, by now, Harald has told the Secretariat to apply a fix.  I
hope they aren't sitting on the request or, if they are, that we will
rapidly see an explanation.

actually the fix request had gotten lost in the first round - it was never applied to the Seoul web pages, and nobody noticed.
Guess what.... it had been deleted along with a bunch of spam...... points out the importance of improving the secretariat's spamfiltering abilities, as per the announcement on Friday.

The fix has now been applied.

Harald