Re: Bad/Good ideas and damage control by experienced participants

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 5:39 AM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/21/22 05:05, Lloyd W wrote:

> it takes a village to raise a baby.
> it should take an IETF to raise a newbie.
>
> Everyone's job, etc.

concur.    And if there's not a functioning IETF community that has the
shared goal of building and maintaining the Internet ecosystem for the
general good, I don't see how that can work. But IETF has largely
destroyed the sense of community that once existed.

Though an alternative path might be to develop an academic discipline of
Internet protocol engineering, and expect Internet protocol engineers to
have degrees in that discipline.   But I don't have a tremendous amount
of faith in academia to preserve wisdom.   Better than nothing, I suppose.

Academia is broken as a research venue. Its publish or perish and you can only publish if you are following fashion. So appling 1990s technology to securing data at rest isn't going to win anyone tenure.

The problem I see in the IETF is that the Internet is being turned into a series of walled gardens and the IETF can't do anything to stop that because most of the participants work for one of the companies busy building the walls.

The issue isn't unique to IETF either. There are dozens of IoT alliances, most of which have multiple big players involved. But they are all built around enabling the MBA school dream of imposing a razor and blades model on consumers. As if it makes any sense for consumers to pay $10/month to subscribe to a service so they can turn their lights on and off.