Re: No Rights in the UK: Re: Gun control at IETF 114

--On Wednesday, June 15, 2022 11:47 +1000 Lloyd W
<lloyd.wood=40yahoo.co.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/offensive-weapons-knives
> -bladed-and-pointed-articles

Lloyd,

I just did a quick search and the maximum blade length on the
Swiss Army Super Tinker knife is 2.5 inches.  As I read the
document you cite above, that would be exempt (and ok to carry)
because it is a folding pocketknife with a blade shorter than 3
inches.   Depending how "pocketknife" is construed, it might
except most multitools as well.  Now, of course, if one used
either to threaten or cause harm, that would cause a different
part of the document/ explanation to apply.

I do wonder if "has a blade or is sharply pointed" would
prohibit the wearing of hatpins or clothing or decorative items.
I have no idea how many people in the IETF would be wearing such
things.   On the other hand, I think I've seen pictures of hats
with such pointed fasteners on the head of the Queen and don't
recall stories of her being carted off to jail.

Is it possible that this thread is making considerable fuss over
nothing (or very little)?

thanks,
   john