Re: [Last-Call] [Anima] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-anima-constrained-join-proxy-09

JUst my 2 cents:

The code for stateless and stateful is really small.
No need to worry about code memory requirements when saying that both modes MUST be supported by join-proxy.

Once both modes are supported the dynamic choice becomes possibel.

Peter

Michael Richardson schreef op 2022-06-14 16:36:

Rob Wilton \(rwilton\) <rwilton=40cisco.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > If it is okay to require that join proxies always implement the
    > stateful mode, and that seems to have superior behaviour, then it there
    > a reason why we want to standardize the stateless mode at all?

I think that the MUST implement both for the Join Proxy is wrong.
A 6LR MAY implement one or both or none.
I am happy for the Registrar to have a MUST/SHOULD though.

    > Specifically, under what scenarios would a join-proxy decide to use
    > stateless mode instead of stateful?

When it is constrained in memory for the state.
That could be a dynamic decision.

    > Alternatively, I could see a slightly different proposal:
    > - registrar MUST implement both (my expectation is that this device is
    > likely be less constrained by code and memory)

    > - if a join-proxy can store state then it MUST implement stateful, and
    > default to using it, but MAY limit the amount of state it holds.

    > - If a join-proxy cannot store state then it MUST implement stateless.

    > - A join-proxy MAY implement both stateful and stateless, with stateful
    > used by default, and stateless used if there is no further space for
    > stateful operation.

This is more aligned with my thinking.
There is an aspect of procurement that enters here:
  If I buy a Registrar that does not implement stateless, and devices
  containing proxies that only implement stateless, then I will have a
  failure.

I think that if the Registrar announces it supports stateless, then join
proxies that support stateless OUGHT to use that.  I think it's cheaper in
battery life and more resilient to attacks than stateful.  It comes as a cost
in network bandwidth, which might cause other nodes to expend more power.
If so, a network operator can turn that off by changing parameters on the Registrar.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )