Re: [Last-Call] Opsdir telechat review of draft-ietf-anima-constrained-join-proxy-10

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 12:51:27PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Jürgen Schönwälder via Datatracker wrote:
>     > I am still struggling with the fact that the constrained Join
>     > Proxy does allow attackers to send packets to arbitrary link-local
>     > endpoints. The new security considerations text gives this advice:
>
> Yes, attackers who are already inside the network.
> They can send to arbitrary destinations on the insecure side of the network.
>
> This is not a drive-by attack from an outsider, but an attack of an outside
> by an insider.  So there is definitely some kind of exfiltration channel
> here.  But, if it's an LLN network of low-power radios, then any device can
> also just send unencrypted traffic on arbitrary channels at arbitrary times.
>
> Having a different node (the Join Proxy) send the traffic allows for a
> certain amount of diversion of origin, and perhaps there is a power savings
> to the malevolent insider.

My understanding is that a constrained join proxy is needed to
communication is not directly possible. If so, the join proxy may be
abused to send traffic to destinations not directly reachable
otherwise.

> If one is running RPL, with RH3 headers, then the attackers can *already*
> do this kind of thing.

This sounds a bit like "other protocols have weak security so we do
not have to do better than that". It could be that my expectations are
a bit over the top, but that is a decision others have to take. My job
was to review the document, which I have done.

/js

--
Jürgen Schönwälder              Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>