Re: idnits question

On 2022-05-25, at 17:15, Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   -- Obsolete informational reference (is this intentional?): RFC 2246
>      (Obsoleted by RFC 4346)

At the authoring side, we need a way to silence these warnings (a document that explains the history of some specification always elicits these warnings; this is noise that makes it less likely actually useful warnings are noticed).

The problem is that the current idnits works from the .txt form, so there is no good way to put the silencing instructions.  I propose to put them at the end of the document, on the last page (I-Ds have pages).

We then need a way to insert these silencers in the source document and the XML generated from that.

Grüße, Carsten