Re: the introduction problem, was Email and reputation (was Re: Service outages planned for April 25)

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 9:32 PM John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My goal is to sufficiently solve the problem so that I spend a negligible
> amount of time dealing with unwanted communications.
>
> You keep setting up this binary success/failure.

No, really, I'm not.  We've been looking at the online introduction
problem for decades, and the real life introduction problem for millenia.
Everything you propose has been tried before.  Much of it sort of works,
sometimes, but none of it well enough that it's worth a large upheaval to
use.

Everything in the iPhone had been tried before. Every single thing.

Everything in the Web had been tried before.

It is not just the raw technology, it is having the complete package. Or at least enough of the complete package that people can imagine the gaps being filled. In particular, the ability to provision private keys into devices as a one-time operation that never needs to be repeated is something we never had in the past. The ability to revoke private keys themselves and not just the credential bound to the keys are game changers.

--
PHB