Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsawg-l2nm-15.txt> (A YANG Network Data Model for Layer 2 VPNs) to Proposed Standard l2vpn-ntw

Some stray thoughts on YANG module 'ietf-l2vpn-ntw'

- In a number of places, the module says 'The default value is ... when used at the service level'. I have two problems with this. I see no 'default' specified in YANG - there could be but there is not; this would appear to be a recommendation not a default. Other YANG modules have the concept of e.g. global, link, node parameters with the same grouping appearing in several places with a suitable but different default specified in each place, but not here.

Second, the statement is in a grouping, such as parameters-profile. This grouing appears in two 'uses', one under 'global-parameters-profiles' and the other under 'active-global-parameters-profiles'.

How do I marry the reference to 'service level' and whatever is the alternative to 'service level' to a choice of 'active' or whatever the alternative to 'active' is?

- There are many references to non-IETF documents. Unlike the IETF, these references are mostly not unique without an accompanying date, which most of the references in the YANG module do not have.

- identity evpn-service-interface-type
this is an identity not a type so the use of type in the identifier seems confusing.

- identity color-type
a reference would be useful - I recall an AD asking last year what a color was.

- lacp-active refers to auto-speed negotiation while lacp-passive is about duplex; seems inconsistent

- having a set of referenced identities derived from pw-type and a separate set of referenced identities derived from iana-pw-types seems a potential source of confusion

-leaf interface-id
  type string
I wonder why this is not a reference to the YANG interface module.

- leaf speed
   default 10
seems a bit slow in this day and age; buying kit for the home last year I could not get anything under 100 which my hub could not cope with:-(

- uses y-1731
I only see this used once. Given that groupings used just once make the module harder to follow, why is this a grouping?

- leaf cos-id
(802.1p) Is this a seperate reference from that to 802.1Q?

- mac-policies
this has source and destination address and mask (with no constraints on the mask). What constitutes a match?

Tom Petch