Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsawg-l2nm-15.txt> (A YANG Network Data Model for Layer 2 VPNs) to Proposed Standard structure

I find the overall structure of this I-D unhelpful.

It contains four YANG modules, two 'normal' modules, protocol modules, complex and so likely to be updated sooner if not later.

The other two YANG modules are the initial values of modules for IANA to maintain and so should never appear in an RFC ever again. There can only ever be one 'initial'!

The future directions of these two pairs are thus likely to be very different so placing them all in one I-D, one RFC, seems unfortunate. Any revision to that RFC should involve the elimination of any data about the IANA-maintained modules, apart from a YANG 'import' statement.

At the same time, I note that the YANG Doctor review expressed concerns in terms of the size of the I-D and hence its manageability. Since that review, the I-D has expanded from 150 to 159 pages.

I would suggest separating out the 15 or so pages of the IANA modules into a separate I-D to follow a separate path.

Tom Petch

The IESG wrote:

The IESG has received a request from the Operations and Management Area
Working Group WG (opsawg) to consider the following document: - 'A YANG
Network Data Model for Layer 2 VPNs'
   <draft-ietf-opsawg-l2nm-15.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
last-call@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2022-05-13. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

    This document defines an L2VPN Network YANG Model (L2NM) which can be
    used to manage the provisioning of Layer 2 Virtual Private Network
    services within a network (e.g., service provider network).  The L2NM
    complements the Layer 2 Service Model (L2SM) by providing a network-
    centric view of the service that is internal to a service provider.
    The L2NM is particularly meant to be used by a network controller to
    derive the configuration information that will be sent to relevant
    network devices.

    Also, this document defines a YANG module to manage Ethernet segments
    and the initial versions of two IANA-maintained modules that defines
    a set of identities of BGP Layer 2 encapsulation types and pseudowire
    types.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-l2nm/