From: Suresh Krishnan via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2022 11:54 PM
To: int-dir@xxxxxxxx
Cc: bier@xxxxxxxx; draft-ietf-bier-bar-ipa.all@xxxxxxxx; last-call@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Intdir telechat review of draft-ietf-bier-bar-ipa-12

[External Email. Be cautious of content]

Reviewer: Suresh Krishnan
Review result: Ready with Issues

This document is short and clear and easy to understand for someone who has a basic understanding of BIER. I do have one minor issue that probably needs to get addressed/clarified

* Section 3:

Step 3: "If BA is NULL" -> What exactly does this mean? Does this mean BAR==0?

Zzh> Note that a BAR value corresponds to a <BA, BC> (<BIER algorithm, BIER constraints>) tuple. "BA is NULL" only means it does not specify any BIER specific algorithm.
Zzh> A NULL BA does not mean BAR==0. For example, one could define a BAR 10 with semantics of "No BIER specific algorithm but exclude BIER-incapable routers" (the exclusion part is the BC).

If so, it might be good to state this explicitly and I suggest pulling forward the text from Section 3.1. to clarify BAR==0 means that BA is NULL and BC is NULL. If not, can you please clarify? i.e. do you expect there to be a NULL BA with a BAR<>0?