Re: [Last-Call] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-quic-manageability-14

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022, at 06:57, Paul Vixie wrote:
> <<The QUIC wire image is specifically designed to be indistinguishable
> from other UDP traffic by a passive observer in the network.>>

This is not true though.  We deliberately did not do either:

* make QUIC distinguishable
* make QUIC indistinguishable

We might have been close on the second, but that is simply a consequence of other design pressures (efficiency, security, privacy).

> <<Management of QUIC traffic can never be reliable, and if it becomes so
> over time, then the QUIC wire image would be forced to evolve. Therefore
> a heuristic along the lines of "any unrecognizable UDP traffic could be
> QUIC" is the least unappealing way for a network operator to
> characterize their network's UDP traffic in the QUIC era.>>

I don't think that this is true either.  As before, QUIC is not deliberately anti-management, it just has a limited surface area by which it might be managed (like the spin bit).  That said, your heuristic here is more or less accurate, though I'm not sure that you can say that definitively, it's likely what will happen.