Re: [Last-Call] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-quic-manageability-14

Hi Mirja, thanks for your replies and PRs.
please see replies below, I clipped discussions we have closed.
Al

[acm]
Not yet. Maybe we can compose your message to operators *without* making it sound like you are trying to set policy.  I suggested text in the PR like this:

Developers would prefer admission of all QUIC traffic regardless of version in order to support continuous version-based evolution. However, all parties understand the value of versions with a corresponding, fully-approved standard.

>     >
>     >     >
>     >     >     [acm] I was hoping to see a description of fallback to TCP (I
> see
>     > that fallback
>     >     >     is mentioned briefly at the end of section 4.2., and later,
> fail
>     > over and
>     >     >     failover. pick one...)
>     >     >
>     >     >     How can Network Operators observe when a QUIC setup has
> failed, and
>     > the
>     >     >     corresponding TCP fallback connection(s) succeeded?
>     >     >
>     >     > [MK] There is no unified way how and if fallback is implemented.
>     > However, why
>     >     > do you think a network operator would need that information?
>     >     [acm]
>     >     To affirm that their admission policy is working properly, for one
> reason.
>     >
>     > [MK] However, there is really no guarantee that all QUIC will have a
> fallback.
>     > Without further knowledge about what higher layer service the QUIC
> transport
>     > carries, I don't think you can make any assumption about fallback. If
> you want
>     > to support evolution, you need to support QUIC and not rely on any
> potentially
>     > fallbacks.
>     [acm]
>     I chose example carefully: the operator wants to support QUIC, but has
> reports that QUIC setup is failing and needs to make measurements to gather
> symptoms & info. Experience will indicate the circumstances where QUIC setup
> failure is accompanied by fallback, and other possibilities. Repeated
> experiences become heuristics for passive observation.
>     No assumptions necessary.
>     Has QUIC setup failed if the exchanges in Figure 1 are incomplete?
>     I think there might be a yes or no answer...
>     If no, then the passive observation procedure will mostly be governed by
> heuristics.
>
> [MK] I think I lost the point now. If QUIC fails even if there is a fallback,
> that's still not great because the original intention was obviously to use
> QUIC. Is there anything we need to say in the draft that is missing?
[acm]
Without getting into fallback in any way,
Help the operator determine when a QUIC setup has failed by providing a little more info.
It would be useful to know:
What QUIC messages would accompany a QUIC setup failure? (other than those in Figure 1)
OR
A statement like:
If the exchange in Figure 1 is incomplete, then the QUIC setup has failed.
(IF that is true)

> [...]
>     >     >        gradually disappear over time.
>     >     >     [acm]
>     >     >     And some networks may prefer not to admit experimental
> traffic. The
>     > goal of the
>     >     >     experiment may be problematic for the network operator and/or
> their
>     >     >     subscribers. I think this is legitimate operator behavior, and
> worth
>     > a few more
>     >     >     words in the draft.
>     >     >
>     >     > [MK] To be honest I don't understand this point. How would an
> operator
>     > even
>     >     > know if an experiment would be problematic or no? QUIC is fully
>     > encrypted.
>     >     > Versioning is only one extension mechanism. So basically even if
> you see
>     > the
>     >     > same version number, the QUIC behind that could behave very
> differently
>     >     > depending on which extensions are used and because of the
> encryption,
>     > there is
>     >     > no chance for the operator to know about this. Is this not clear
> in the
>     >     > document? Do we need to state this more clearly?
>     >     [acm]
>     >     First, let's say s/experimental/unexpected/ or
> s/experimental/proprietary/
>     >     Then, I'm responding to your reply more than the paragraph in the
> draft
>     > now:
>     >     Network operators are also end users, and often act on their
> subscriber's
>     > behalf. Observations are not strictly limited to mid-points, where
> encryption
>     > is present.
>     >     Harboring old notions of what operators cannot do will not sit well
> with
>     > your audience...
>     >
>     >     So, (in the paragraph above) you've informed operators that some
>     > proprietary QUIC versions remain in use as of this writing.
>     >     But traffic that doesn't conform *might* be considered nefarious.
> That's
>     > all. It's a message for everyone involved.
>     >
>     > [MK] I think the point is actually rather that we want to say here: if
> you
>     > don't support these old versions that will not be a problem in the near
>     > future.
>     [acm]
>     Ok, say that in the draft, please.
>
> [MK] Okay started a PR on github. Is that more clear now?
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/quicwg/ops-
> drafts/pull/460/files__;!!BhdT!mOHh0CyPDRUf9uvgZfIrDspADvFLupiMn-
> 5czo4ercUtLNr7_gQJcuGTzI0cYadmIRktrtZrgoTKCp4DmqkDVmpL$

[acm]
I'm ok with this one, thanks.