Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-koster-rep-06.txt> (Robots Exclusion Protocol) to Informational RFC

It appears that Mark Nottingham  <mnot@xxxxxxxx> said:

>> On 16 Mar 2022, at 3:52 am, Murray S. Kucherawy <superuser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> If the authors are prepared to make this change, I'd like to hear why "IETF Standards Track w/consensus" is (or
>should be) off the table, especially if other search engines are going to indicate support.
>
>That's reasonable, if support eventuates. If it doesn't, it would be pretty awkward -- I think we'd want at least
>some level of review or at least acknowledgement by other major implementers before declaring it Standards Track.

A lot of search engines describe how they handle robots.txt. For example,

Yahoo https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN22600.html

Bing https://www.bing.com/webmasters/help/how-to-create-a-robots-txt-file-cb7c31ec

Yandex https://yandex.com/support/webmaster/controlling-robot/robots-txt.html

Baidu https://www.baidu.com/search/robots_english.html

DataForSEO https://dataforseo.com/dataforseo-bot

Petal Search https://webmaster.petalsearch.com/site/petalbot

Mojeek https://www.mojeek.com/bot.html

(Those last three I never heard of but their spiders show up in my logs.)

>From what I can see, the current draft is OK, but I would make it clearer that the * and $ metacharacters
aren't widely supported, and I would add Crawl-Delay and Siteindex directives which are.

R's,
John