Re: [irtf-discuss] [Internet Policy] Why the World Must Resist Calls to Undermine the Internet

(when searching on 'uucp' be sure to include 'unix', lest you end up with pointers to quite a different topic...)

As I recall, uucp was indeed universal, quite early in the life of unix.

Routing was manual, source routing. Hence an 'address' specified each node to be transited, producing potentially many exclamation marks in the address/route. And yes indeed, this was at the email level, rather than at any lower layers.

Eventually some major switching node emerged, permitting referencing them as an anchor, without regard to the path to get to the major switch. As I recall, there were separate apps that computed uucp network maps. But I don't recall how those got used.

FWIW, for CSNet, we used the percent symbol, to indicate one hop, beyond the arpanet. Hence user%csnet-host@csnet-relay. So, arguably, a hybrid of global and relative addressing.

The hybrid -- and the resulting email address syntax -- could get complicated -- and error-rone -- when additional email networks were part of the transit, such as Bitnet.

Craig Patridge notes significant discussions needed, that produced the profound benefit of finally getting agreement among operators of these various, independent email services, to use the DNS MX record for routing.

d/