Re: [Internet Policy] Why the World Must Resist Calls to Undermine the Internet

uucp is still included in the version of Unix that ships will the latest MacOS:

% man uucp

uucp(1)                                                        General Commands Manual

NAME
       uucp - Unix to Unix copy

SYNOPSIS
       uucp [ options ] source-file destination-file

       uucp [ options ] source-file... destination-directory

DESCRIPTION
       The uucp command copies files between systems.  Each file argument
 is either a pathname on the local machine or is of the form

              system!path

       which is interpreted as being on a remote system.  In the
       first form, the contents of the first file are copied to the
       second.  In the second form, each source file is copied into
       the destination directory.

> On Mar 15, 2022, at 10:06, Michael StJohns <mstjohns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 3/15/2022 12:54 PM, Steve Crocker wrote:
>> My nomenclature re uu* is fuzzy.  I know there was a command to copy a file from one Unix machine to another.  I’m not clear on whether this included routing to other machines or whether that was a higher level protocol.
>>
>> Steve
>
> Trimmed.
>
> The command was actually "uucp" :-)  The "address" for the source and destination was based on a Usenet path and included bangs (!) to separate the non-domain host names. https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/aix/7.2?topic=u-uucp-command
>
> Mike
>
> ps - for clarification:  The group of hosts linked via uucp was called Usenet.  UUNet was a commercial enterprise started by Rick Adams to (originally) provide Usenet hub services.  I seem to recall that Rick helped fund the transition of Usenet from UUCP to TCP/IP by giving away 56kb modems to hosts that applied for domain names.  I *think* (memory is fuzzy here as this wasn't something I directly worked with), that most of the modems eventually transitioned from UUCP dialup to permanent link IP.

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Office: +1 415-550-9433