Re: [Last-Call] [I18ndir] I18ndir last call review of draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfced-model-11

On 26 Feb 2022, at 11:42, John C Klensin wrote:

Pete,

As another acknowledged contributor, I would presumably also be
exempt even if it were not for your policy of excluding me from
Directorate reviews.

It was my memory (perhaps faulty) that you were not doing reviews by mutual agreement in order to attend to other tasks. Let's chat offline if my brain cells are mushier than expected.

That said, an addition to Martin's comments on the i18n-specific
issues [1]:
[1]
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/i18ndir/gpAMRVpH3x6cJcTTlDkWCsMWdeI

Thanks. I'm sure the document editors and ADs will be most appreciative.

This
so-called Directorate may include the appropriate people, but,
as I understand the rules, it is currently constrained to
offering advice to the ART ADs and not to the wider community
the RFC Editor Function.

That is not my reading of our charter:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/i18ndir/about/

  • Advises Area Directors and other IETF stakeholders (including other directorates and review teams, such as the Security Directorate and ART Area Review Team) with regard to internationalization.

While the top line of our charter is certainly to "assist[] the Area Directors of the Applications and Real-Time Area with regard to internationalization", I do not see anything that prevents us from doing informal reviews for others. Of course, if we were to be doing formal review that would probably require a more formal role to be identified in the charter (and perhaps elsewhere in IETF procedures).

pr

--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best